Thursday, June 28, 2007

I need the assistance of a better Catholic than I...

OK, Now here is my problem, I was reading this article and it has several interesting things to say. It is about the Pope allowing for a wider use of the old Latin Mass. Here are some of my comments about some of their comments... Maybe you can let me know if I am on the right page or not with my thoughts.

1. "a concession to traditionalists that has caused concern among those fearing a rollback of one of the Vatican's key liberalizing reforms"

OK, I am not really down with this. How is Mass in the vernacular a liberalizing reform? I mean the Latin WAS the vernacular! However, it is nice to have the option of hearing the mass in our own language, the problem is people losing respect for the mass. If we have a few more Lain masses (like the one at Holy Rosary) and it helps build respect... GREAT!!!

2. "The decision follows months of debate. Some cardinals, bishops and Jews..."

Why are the Jews in this debate? Would it be Catholic Jews, Orthodox.... What?

3. "The decision follows months of debate. Some cardinals, bishops and Jews have opposed any change, voicing complaints about everything from the text of the old Mass to concerns that the move will lead to further changes to the reforms approved by 1962-1965 Second Vatican Council."

OK, well that is fair; however, if the reforms have caused damage, the spirit of the changes were not to cause damage, so we need to re-examine the causes of the damage and FIX it.

4. "To celebrate the old Latin Mass now, a priest must obtain permission from the local bishop."

OK, so is the reform needed because too many bishops are outright denying the Mass?

5. "Some cardinals and bishops, ... have objected to any liberalizing of the terms for using the old rite, saying its broader use could lead to divisions within the church, and could imply a rejection of other Vatican II teachings."

I can see this objection; however, again, if there has been damage done (and it is apparent we have lost some reverence for the Mass) then it MUST be fixed! See my above comment.

6. "He said bishops were also worried that any major change "could erode their ability to control how the faith is practiced.'"

Well now, how well are many of these bishops really controlling? And what power do they think this will actually get rid of? I cannot think this will make a large impact either way for I am not sure may bishops would continuously say no to a Mass now that was really wanted by the people in the diocese.

7. "Tamas Moritz, 40, visiting from Hungary, said 'it seems archaic.'"

It does seem archaic, it is from the passed, a language not used anymore besides the wonderful church prayers!

8."'I am of the opinion, to be sure, that the old rite should be granted much more generously to all those who desire it," then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger said. "It's impossible to see what could be dangerous or unacceptable about that.'"

My last comment... it is sad to Deny people the mass. When visiting a country that speaks a different language, it would be nice if we had the option of going to a mass where we could still follow along with the prayers. I may go to Canada, but not know French, I may go to Japan and not know Japanese...

No comments: