Monday, August 01, 2005

Beauty



What is beauty? This is a grandfather holding his first grandchild! Is he excited, and scared. He has not held a baby in many years. He works on autos for a living and things nothing of a 2nd to 3rd degree burn. However, is this beauty?

What I did not yet see was that this great question turned upon your craftsmanship, O Almighty, who alone work wonders (Ps. 72.18 [Ps. 71.18], Ps. 136.4 [Ps. 135.4]). My mind was proceeding by means of corporeal forms; I defined the beautiful as being that which is harmonious in itself, and the congruent with some other object. This I distinguished between these terms, illustrating my distinction with the whole heap of examples drawn from the corporeal world. I then turned my attention to the nature of the mind, but the false opinion that I held about spiritual matters did not permit me to see the truth. (4.15.24)

No comments: