Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Problem of Evil?

Ok, I think I am going to have to do this in parts. Here is my rendition of “The Problem of Evil”. The major problem is that it exists. Ok, I am done….





Why are you still reading (like anyone is actually reading this LOL). Anyway, here it goes for real this time.

I see part of the problem as very easy to explain. As humans, we do not truly enjoy being totally happy. Like the movie the Matrix, where they built a simulation that was a utopia, but it was rejected by the humans. This is what we do. As humans, we have to find problems and make them worse. We refuse to look on the bright side and be happy. Let us examine my place of employment. The management has a cook out with hot dogs, chips, pop, and other stuff. It is free, and we can eat on our lunches. However, this can be a “great” source of frustration because people want to complain. A couple could be very happy, in fact, they could be almost blissfully happy. However, then one decides that things “just are not working”. There is no reason; they just think that grass is better somewhere else. Then there is the more direct approach that we set out to harm ourselves such as suicide, or having sex with anyone who comes along.

This self-inflicted evil could be explained it is because we were designed wrong. However, I would say that we, as people, just don’t understand what it is like to be truly happy, so we make it up, fail and this is what happens.

Next, there is the more indirect “self”-inflicted. This tends along the lines of; we are paying for our “parents” sins. This can be direct; such as parental neglect or just the incompetence of the parents have left a void in life. This would account for the poor aborted children, the children who are abused, and so on. The next is a bit more indirect, economic status. For example, I am poor, not my some standards, but by most. I make less than $30,000 (by far), live alone, and go to school full time. This does not leave me with much. However, others don’t work, have nicer apartments than mine, and get more money from the government for school because they do not work. This I would consider some form of evil. I am in this spot because I do not have parents with money. I am “suffering” due to their economic status. This would run along the likes of “the rich get richer”. I plan to do great things, and I am currently doing MUCH better than my parents (overall) and I will continue to do so; however, it is just harder for me. Then there are things that are more indirect.

Here is where the arguments can begin. I have always had a Darwinian thought process on keeping the “weak” alive. I think that in many cases we try to play God by keeping individuals alive long after their life should be extended (look at the nursing homes). I am not sure if it is really God’s will for those people to be kept alive to slowly rot in bed. This goes for sickly people as well. One of my co-workers told me of a situation in her family. One if her family members married a woman who came from a very weak mother. In fact, if it were not for modern day technology the mother nor the wife would have been able to reproduce. Well now, there is a young girl, about 12, who is in Riley hospital. She has cancer and some other type of disease. This child is suffering greatly due to the fact she was born with weak genes. Is this God’s will? Because I am not God, I cannot answer that. (Thankfully!) Now this situation is shown many times in different times and places. However, it is there. Please understand I am not saying let them all die, because I would not presume to say that that would be the will either. I am just saying this is self-inflicted and yes, God lets it happen, but it is caused because we, overtime, are destroying God’s perfect creation.

This brings me to natural disasters… and this is where I will stop for now. I am not ready to tackle this issue. I do hope to get it out within the next week or so.

No comments: