Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Why is everyone always picking on me?

OK, well this not not people picking on me, but my Pope! What did he ever do to them? Was it like this with JPII? It seems everything he does someone has to complain about, and complain, and complain... Do these people NOT have anything better to talk about. (I guess not since I am still blogging on it!)

Here is an article written by Russell Shaw. It seems he is freelance writer from Washington, D.C., and author of Catholic Laity in the Mission of the Church (Requiem Press). So with that information I think I will have to do additional checking before reading stuff from this Requiem Press... So here is my comments on the article!

"Benedict has taken the following steps: reversed important policy decisions of two of his predecessors, taken a big gamble aimed at healing a dangerous schism, reminded the world's bishops that he's boss, risked offending ecumenical dialogue partners — and then headed off cheerfully on vacation."

Well he reversed nothing... NOTHING I say. He, in my humble opinion, has fulfilled the true meaning and intent of these policies. Who said the schism he is trying to heal is "dangerous"? Any schism is dangerous to those in it, not really to the Pope himself. He did not remind THE World's bishops that he is boss, he just reminded the ones in the Roman Catholic church that we must stop thinking of the previous mass in a negative light. Since the council never condemned it... it is still a valid mass and should be allowed. Some Bishops have problems remembering that. So that is the Pope's job is to remind, forcefully if necessary. And I too would be cheerfully about vacation if everything I said "HI" there were 10 reporters right there to say that I was somehow trying to undermine the Church Christ set up by greeting someone on the street.

There are more, but I will not go into that again. I made my point of view quite clearly in a previous post. Maybe this should not bother me at all. It is just like when I was in High School, just like work, why should the rest of life be any different. There are things that some will take too far, others not far enough. It is only "cool" to speak out or against XY or Z and not AB or C. Then don't even THINK of talking bad about or making comments about MN or O! Here it is, even Catholics tend to think that it is OK to pick and chose. At this point I am ready to call it quits and just accept the stupidity of most... However, we all know we must keep going! The FIGHT to re-educate the masses MUST be done. For he is the Way the Truth and the Light. He is also the only way to heaven. So we must shout from the rooftops if we have to in order to get people back in line with the truth.

3 comments:

Jim Curley said...

I think you read the article in the wrong light. I don't believe Russell Shaw was being critical of Pope Benedict XVI at all. In fact I think he was in favor of all the things our Holy Father did. Now you might quibble about whether the first (restoring the TLM to the faithful in a greater way-Paul VI took it away, JPII restored in a very limited way) was a reversal or not. The second was a sure reversal on the papal elections from the rule JPII put in place.

And the "dangerous schism" is dangerous simply because good people and priests are operating in an "irregular situation" with respect to the Church. Anytime there is a risk of good people being permanently separated from Holy Mother Church, it is dangerous.

I read the article and thought Mr. Shaw was applauding our Holy Father. But I will read it again.

Finally, a disclaimer. I run Requiem Press-so I have a stake in defending our name.

Dusty M Brahlek said...

I will assume you know how to read his work better than I because I am also assuming you have read his other work. I think what ste me off is the "and then headed off cheerfully on vacation". This statement was reading an artical about the Pope exposing his "fangs".

I welcome your defending! It is important to me to see that. I am also ALWAYS welcome to differing opinions because I am still developing and I can use helpful insite and information from a different perspecitive. I read the artical again and I saw it was MUCH less annoying than I first thought. I also fixed the URL so people can go to the artical.

So I guess I will make a more recent blog post in a different light! :) I also attempted previously to go to the Catholic Herald, but it was not comming up, so I will go to the website before making my next post to see if I can get some more insite on how to read this artical :)

Jim Curley said...

Dusty-I appreciate your openess to re-reading the article. The last line puts it the tone of the article in perspective for me, if I doubts before: "The critics need to let this man be pope his own way. He's going to do that anyway, after all, whether they like it or not." Cheers. -- Jim